Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Inspired Me


Photo by Abby

For years I have been intrigued by the local celebrations across America where they "drop," or in many cases lower, something from above to ring in the New Year. Many of these traditions are relatively recent and are based on the ball dropping in New York's Times Square.

I have been blogging about these celebrations since 2005, especially the quirky ones. I used to just stumble across them by chance, but eventually I discovered a wikipedia article that seemed to do a comprehensive job of listing them all. It also provides lots of links to the celebrations' web sites or media coverage of the events. I summarized the article in several lists, which I found interesting.

Last year I registered this domain name, newyearsdrop.com, and didn't do anything with it. I think whatdrops.com, or variations of that were all taken. Well, this domain was getting ready to expire, and I wasn't going to renew it, but I got an idea. I can actually create a blog that includes my New Year's posts from each year, and features this year's celebrations.

And today I saw this post on 30Threads, which featured a post from the New Raleigh blog that reveals the Trip Advisor's List of 10 Quirkiest New Year's Celebrations lists Raleigh as Number 10. I wanted to comment and share my lists and links of New Year's Drop, so this was the perfect time to create this blog (which is done).

So look for more posts about individual celebrations, and maybe some surprises too.

No comments:

Post a Comment